Need some help!

Mech Commander (2 and Gold), Mech Warrior (3, 4 and Pirates Moon), and others in the series
ffreds

Need some help!

Post by ffreds »

My buddy and I have been trying to play this game for the last couple of weeks and cant figure out how to get past the ready room. We both have the same versions, we get on and launch the game and it just shows me in the ready room. I would really appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!
Perigren

Re: Need some help!

Post by Perigren »

which mech game specifically?
Rider

Post by Rider »

Im Presuming this is a Mechcommander Related Problem due to the "Ready Room" mention.

Usually when one can't see another in the ready room..i presume the other person is getting a message "can't connect to host" or "connection lost to host" Its due to a router/firewall not being properly configured. You need to allow the Mechcommander Game on all firewalls or disable them (Make sure Windows Firewall is disabled in control pannel or allow Mechcommander for it).

All 3 Mechcommander games use the same ports. You can go here http://www.mechforumz.com/mcghelp/router.htm and there is a tutorial on how to get your router working for DMZ Mode on your routers. Which opens all ports i would recommend disabling this when not playing Mechcommander as it leaves your computer vunreable. That site also contains the ports you need to forward, if you know how to manually forward ports that is. Another option which is quite easy to follow to manually forward your ports for Mechcommander is to go to http://portforward.com/ pick your router model/design and then follow the tutorial for portforwarding Mechcommander2 (As there all the same ports for the 3 games).

You may be unaware you are actually on a router or you might not even know what a router is - A router basically allows more than one computer to access the same internet connection. So if you have more than one computer on the same internet connection then you've got yourself a router.

-Are you both playing from the same router/internet connection? Have You Forwarded the ports for the game to each I.P through the router settings?

If you both have no routers or firewalls then i suggest the problem is due to your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Some ISP's have there own built in firewall and you will need to contact them and ask them to forward the ports for you (Some of them will even charge you money to do this).

Also another thing which can stop the game working is that if you are both on the same connection, If the Router isn't set up properly and a different person loads up his computer he can get a different IP from what he /once had before which can cause conflictions and stop online software from working/connecting. - I had this problem me and my brothers using the same connection i had all the ports forwarded for a certain I.P everytime someone else started there computer up first instead of me they would get the first I.P of the range which i set all the games and stuff to work for with my computer. So i had to assign that I.P to my computer to get it every time. This also caused everyone else problems on the same connection games and stuff like messenger wouldn't work for them either when i didn't have the IP i set the games and stuff to.

One last thing it could be which is highly unlikely if you are sharing a connection and people are doing lots of things like buffering videos, downloading this can cause the connection to time out when launching into Mechcommander and you will not make it to the ready room. (This has happend to me couple times when people are doing mass amounts of downloads on the same connection).

Hope this helps, post more info if you need anymore help, also i hang around in the Mechcommander Gold Lobby alot, if you need any help you can always drop by and ask.
http://www.mechcommander.org - Download the games for free now! Play them @ reverbgaming.com now!
ffreds

Post by ffreds »

Yes, it was mech commander. He was behind a router and we knew that was the problem but couldnt find the ports to forward. We just tried it out and it works! Thanks a million for the fast and very efficient help Rider! We both appreciate it very much, been trying to get this to work for about a month now...