More hosting options!

Mech Commander (2 and Gold), Mech Warrior (3, 4 and Pirates Moon), and others in the series
Moe479

More hosting options!

Post by Moe479 »

mw3/mw3 pirates moon: it was possible to utilize another zoneroom(a one from mw4) by using a registry hack and playing a 16 playergame!
mw4 series: where i can use my dedicated for a 24 player game?
mw2, mw2mercs ... where is it?
where is the zone messenger?
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: More hosting options!

Post by CanEh »

Moe479 wrote:mw3/mw3 pirates moon: it was possible to utilize another zoneroom(a one from mw4) by using a registry hack and playing a 16 playergame!
mw4 series: where i can use my dedicated for a 24 player game?
mw2, mw2mercs ... where is it?
where is the zone messenger?
The lobby structure here is based on passing in the game GUID and exe name into a direct play object (which is what these games are based on) and then telling direct play to take over. From there, it handles the running of the game, not us. I am going to ASSume that your reference to a "registry hack" would mean that you want to change something on our end, so that you could be in say... a mech 2 lobby and run a mech 4 game. That won't work because we don't use the registry to store entries. I suppose we could make one huge lobby... and let the table host enter the GUID and game exe... but, can you imagine the confusion? Most people don't even know what a game GUID is let alone how to find it.

If one of the lobbies we currently have setup, supports more players than the lobby is set for then please let me know and I can change it to whatever the game supports. :mrgreen: Please understand that I personally have never played any of the MECH series (I keep getting told I should... lol... like I have time... anyway) so the lobbies have been setup using information supplied to me.

I seem to recall that we did some discussions with someone else a while back about one of the (I think) mech 2 type games and it used a different protocol other than allowing TCP/IP connections. If the game does not support TCP/IP then our system here is not designed to run it. We do have Mech 1 and 2, in the "commander" flavor... and if there are other variations that I am not familiar with then by all means please supply me with the GUID/EXE information and I will be more than happy to setup a lobby so that you can test it out to see if it works.

In your mech4 side, I am going to presume that you are talking about linking up to some dedicated server some place, such as what the official MecTek release can be linked up to? If thats the case, we don't run dedicated game servers. I suspect you are talking about the "mech match" thing that they are doing... We do it like the zone did it, which means that the person hosting the game table acts as the game server for that game and the people in that game table. I believe that the Mech 4 Mercs lobby we have here IS setup to allow 24 players at a table. Those are all configurable by the table host.

As for the "zone messenger" part of things, yes... I do admit that is one drawback we have right at the moment. In order to have a global friends system, we need to create a global friends component. It was something that we had started to do a long time ago, but all of that got put on hold when another site started hosting our software. They made all kinds of promises to us for new development and after 2 years of wasted time, they did nothing, and we ended up leaving that site. From there it took several months and considerable pressure to get them to stop using our software, as we had cancelled their license.

We started working on a totally new system, when we were approached by several of the MECH players who liked what we did before, so at that point the original software was put in place so that they had somewhere to play at. We have been working on providing several enhancements to the old system, along with bringing new card and board games to the software. During this period of time, 2 of the original developers got sidetracked with some major "real life" events and have been unavailable to assist with the other features we had planned.

We are working on things. But we do this all for free and therefore receive no income from it. We do what we can, when we can... It's just the way it is right now.
Moe479

Post by Moe479 »

was just saying that mech3 seemed to support 16 (or even more???) players when it was started from a mech4 zoneroom, was just wondering this 'bug' isnt utilized here ... ;)

well have played them all, but sadly im currently unable to run mw3 on my hd4850 without major graphic glitches ...

well mech2 runs on ipx ... however it can be emulated via tcpip ... kali does that, this might be also the way to get things like redalert and cnc1(both aviable for free) runnig on reverb ...

and sorry wtf is a guid ...must be some wired direct play thingy ... never got in touch with dp since good netcode needs just an ip and a single port to connect and opperate ... dp sadly sadly fails to meet that ... :lol:
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

Moe479 wrote:was just saying that mech3 seemed to support 16 (or even more???) players when it was started from a mech4 zoneroom, was just wondering this 'bug' isnt utilized here ... ;)
well have played them all, but sadly im currently unable to run mw3 on my hd4850 without major graphic glitches ...
well mech2 runs on ipx ... however it can be emulated via tcpip ... kali does that, this might be also the way to get things like redalert and cnc1(both aviable for free) runnig on reverb ...
and sorry wtf is a guid ...must be some wired direct play thingy ... never got in touch with dp since good netcode needs just an ip and a single port to connect and opperate ... dp sadly sadly fails to meet that ... :lol:
Mech 3 is the one where we have not yet gotten the team play side to function. The game does launch, it does work. Setting the lobby for 16 players only takes a moment, so we don't need to hack/bug anything.

The ipx/spx we don't support. I know some people have created programs that you can run that allow things, customizations etc, but we can't launch with that support. No one has supplied us with any information, so it makes it difficult to work with.

A GUID is a "global unique identifier", and it is what the games manufacturers create to identify to directx, the things it needs. It's just the way it works, and we can't change those facts.

As for running various types of games, I have said this before in other posts and I will repeat it here once again. We do the direct play side, and most things work. We also have the option of running a game with command line parms, if the game supports that (in other words, if the game does "game.exe /hostip = xxx /options = yyy /whatever" is just an example) then we can run it. Lastly, we can have you specify the game exe that needs to be run, manually, along with the required parameters the game needs.

Whatever options are used, they must be valid for the game to function.