FAQ: Problems & Solutions

Problems? Issues? Ask your questions here.
Pavcules

FAQ: Problems & Solutions

Post by Pavcules »

Lobby Installation - Problems & Solutions

When you start the lobby program, the following error is reported:

To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .Net Framework:
v2.0.50727
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .Net Framework.

NetFrameworkError.png
NetFrameworkError.png (47.5 KiB) Viewed 21057 times
Solution:

You need to install the MS .NET Framework v2.0 onto your PC.
You can download the software from the following link below (Size: 22.4 MB):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

After you have downloaded the software, double click run it. Installation will take several minutes to do.

If you are installing the MS .NET Framework 2.0, you may get the following warning:

Setup has detected that the following prerequisite programs are not installed:

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.0

You must first install these programs before Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
can be installed.

Rereun setup after installing these programs.

Solution:

You need to install the MS Windows Installer 3.0 or later onto your PC.
The following link below is to install version 4.5 as this is the latest version of the installer (Size: 2 KB - 43.3 MB):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

After you have downloaded the software, double click run it. Installation will take several minutes to do.

Lobby Launching - Problems & Solutions

Problem reported by user:

I have been unable to enter the lobby. When I launch the site throught the shortcut, I get an error for :Unhandled exception in Micorsoft .Net Framework. Configuration system failed to initialize. I have tried to repair Net Framework and the WGC client. I even uninstalled the client and downloaded it again. Nothing will fix the problem. If I click continue, I get the site, but it is empty.

Here are the details:
************** Exception Text **************
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.
ConfigurationErrorsException: Root element is missing.
(C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\Local Settings\Application Data\Pyro_Productions\SlideGamers.exe_Url_q3pdmiabjta5q2drk4bx2amn0yr0yryf\1.3.4.6\user.config) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
t System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
> at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
> at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()........etc.

Solution:

The problem is due an issue with the "user.config" file buried in the Application Data folder. In the detailed error message it will tell the location of the file. The solution is to go to the folder and delete the file. In the reported problem, the location is mentioned as:

C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\Local Settings\Application Data\Pyro_Productions\SlideGamers.exe_Url_q3pdmiabjta5q2drk4bx2amn0yr0yryf\1.3.4.6\user.config"

Note, in this example the "Valued Customer" folder is the user account name. Each person PC will different, so the name of the folder is the account you have logged into. Also, the random numbers and letters next to the URL can also varied with different versions of the lobby software.

Game Play - Problems & Solutions

You may have firewall installed on your PC, or your high speed modem, or your home router. If you do, they can prevent you from connecting to games. Internet Traffic can also prevent a game from launching, or during a game it can drop you or give an out of sync error. Use Reverse Trace http://easynews.com/trace/ to Test Your Connection for Lag or a Firewall.

Now we need to determine if the firewall is running on your PC or if it's built into your router or high speed modem. To determine if a firewall is running on your computer, click on "Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall". Also look at the little icons next to your computer clock for common firewall names such as: ZoneAlarm, Symantec, Nortons Internet Security, McAfee, etc. Now if you right click it's little icon to disable it, and you are able to play while it's disabled, your solution will be to add your game and ReverbGaming Lobby to the allowed applications list of your software firewall. If the option to exit exists don't choose it, as exit will only close the icon while the actual firewall itself will remain running in the background.

To detect if the firewall is built into your router or high speed modem, you will need to refer to the manual, or go to its control panel. Multiplayer games will usually require specific ports to be open on your router. If you do not have a manual handy, or you do not know which ports to configure for your game, visit the Port Forward website below. This has a huge amount of information on setting up many games for different routers.

http://portforward.com/cports.htm

NOTE: It is highly recommended that you keep your Windows software up-to-date with the latest security patches, and the firewall on all the time. Virsues and other malware programs can easily affect an unprotected PC. Also, make sure you have anti-virus software installed.

To test if your computer is secure on the internet, visit the following site below and run a check on your ports:

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

If you still cannot connect to your game, you should run a complete Spyware scan on your system as you may have Malware running on your system and hogging your bandwidth. To check if your computer has any spyware, adware, and other bad programs, download Adware:

http://www.adware-2009.com/v2/

If you still have a problem, try searching on Google, or ask your question in the forum.
SLO_COPE

Re: FAQ: Problems & Solutions

Post by SLO_COPE »

I was wondering if it's possible to eliminate the pop-up informing players that the chat in the game lobby is disabled when a game launches. I'm not sure if it's the same in other games (I imagine it isn't), but in MTM 2, the pop-up doesn't drop back behind the game screen; you have to either re-enable chat by clicking the appropriate button or move the box down to the bottom of the screen so that it's out of view. Personally, I don't see any value added by using a pop-up of this sort, but then again maybe I'm being short-sighted.

If it has to stay, so be it; it's certainly not a show stopper! Thanks for all you guys do - we appreciate it!
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

There is a reason for it being there. In order to reduce the potential of "lag", the server will stop sending LOBBY chat text to your system while you are in a game. We know the game has ended because the direct play routines tell us, and we resume the lobby chat function. Room chat is always enabled.

Some people for various reasons will shell out from a game, and need to do lobby chat, so they can click the button to re-enable it.

The original design thought goes back to the Zone days where people would do all kinds of things to mess up the zone servers, especially with flooding and white-out flooding. Like many of the features of the client, it is based on what the zone didn't do... or couldn't do... or simple wouldn't do.

Btw... nice to see some of the MTM folks coming back and away from the power tripping insanity at wgc. :)
SLO_COPE

Post by SLO_COPE »

Ah yeah, that's right - I recall people "resuming" to re-enable chat. K, that part makes sense. Still, the only thing that is a minor nuisance is how it doesn't float behind the game screen. If you don't enable chat so that it goes away or pull it down to get it out of the way, you'll see it. Is it a show-stopper? Nope, but and my guess is the other games you guys support here don't have this issue.

Anyway, thanks for the info, bud. ;)
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

SLO_COPE wrote:I was wondering if it's possible to eliminate the pop-up informing players that the chat in the game lobby is disabled when a game launches. I'm not sure if it's the same in other games (I imagine it isn't), but in MTM 2, the pop-up doesn't drop back behind the game screen; you have to either re-enable chat by clicking the appropriate button or move the box down to the bottom of the screen so that it's out of view. Personally, I don't see any value added by using a pop-up of this sort, but then again maybe I'm being short-sighted.

If it has to stay, so be it; it's certainly not a show stopper! Thanks for all you guys do - we appreciate it!
The 2350 client release should now solve some of those problems. Check out the customize area (In Game tab) which should give you the configurations that you wanted...

If there is anything else, by all means let me know. :)
Stalk3rchief

Post by Stalk3rchief »

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)."
I get this message every time I try to use Reverb CDROM.
Help?
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

According to a google search, the resounding choice of causes for this are .Net related. Either you don't have dot net installed, you don't have the right version of dot net installed (we need at least 2.0 and the general indications are that anything higher is *supposed* to be backwards compatable with 2.0) or you have an error within your dot net framework files.

The soultion is to install dot Net. If it is already installed, then remove it and re-install it.

Please let me know how you make out. :)