MC2 multiplayer.... Trouble

Problems? Issues? Ask your questions here.
Gryfalcon

MC2 multiplayer.... Trouble

Post by Gryfalcon »

Hi, I've recently foudn out about reverb gaming and I would like to thank the group for reviving old mech games which microsoft abandoned. But there are a few questions I would like to clarify.

Firstly, When I created a MC2 game in a lobby and launched it, I was thrown into the MC2 main menu. (Is this normal?)
after than I am not sure which to choose Direct connect and LAN doesn't work and I've read teh forums about some GUID thingy whic i can't find as I am using Windows 7. And I downloaded my Games from ,www.mechcommander.org .

Is there something a miss?
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: MC2 multiplayer.... Trouble

Post by CanEh »

If you were put into a main menu rather than a multi-player menu, then chances are your ports are not set right, and/or your permissions are not set right and/or its a windows 7 issue. I've never played the Mech series myself, but perhaps the folks in mech gold lobby might be able to supply some insite, I *think* a few of them are in Win7...
Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon »

The ports you're referring to is the internet ports? I've port forwarded the ports such as 2300-2400, 2302 - 2400 as well as the triggered ports. But its still unclear what is the trigger port all about, must i port forward them like the rest or is it something different then the other ports?

Oh and a side note, the MC2 I've downloaded at mechcommander.org doesn't need any patch or extra stuff required to play online?
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

Doing the forwarding (2300-2400) series is what direct play uses, and in order for it to listen on those for direct play information, a different port is used to trigger that connection up. (Don't ask me why, its the way DX works). Most routers have a forwarded range, and of course that must be setup. The "instigator" is the trigger port, and the trigger is usually defined as being the trigger port start/end port (47624 to 47624) and the trigger settings "range" of 2300-2400, and the same for the 6073-6073 and 2302-2400. Triggers are usually defined in a seperate page from port forwarding.

I have NO clue what versions or patches that mechcommander org offers. I have never played any of the mech series. :)

I have updated the "ports" information http://games.digitalbloodsports.com/for ... 80&start=0 with 2 pics of how I have my Linksys setup. Notice I have the 28800 side done, and the 2300/2400 side done. Since "2302-2400" is already defined WITHIN the 2300-2400 range, it's only entered once. Where as the trigger page specifies the two seperate entries... Hope that helps.