MCG launch issues

Problems? Issues? Ask your questions here.
AndrewOsis

MCG launch issues

Post by AndrewOsis »

How does the client launch games? Im trying to run MCG in vista64 and it seems the only way to do so is to place MCG in the program files folder.I need to change the path to MCG but am not sure how to do this.
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: MCG launch issues

Post by CanEh »

There is nothing fancy done, how the games run is a function that is provided by all DirectX "lobbyable" games. We take the game GUID, and the game EXE name, and we pass them into a direct play object, and tell directX to deal with it. DirectX will go out, look in the registry, get the path to the game (amongst other things) and attempt to run it.

Those settings are stored in the registry (typically) when the game is installed. If you want the game to be in some other location than the default "program files" folder, then I would suggest that you uninstall it, reboot your computer, and then install it in the location of your choice. If it does NOT run from the new location, then there is probably something within Vista that is interfering with it. I do know that in OS's prior to Vista, you could run "dxdiag"... look at the 'networking' tab... and it would show all of the lobby playable games installed on your system. In Vista, they *removed* the display of that information from the 'middle' of the networking tab. What they did with it, if there are other ways to access it... I have no clue.
Perigren

Post by Perigren »

VISTA AND LATER HAVE A FEATURE KNOWN AS "UAC" it stands for user account control. this needs to be turned off to launch online games. hope this helps.
Rider

Post by Rider »

Because you are copying the files from your cd and not installing the game, no registrys are being created. I don't know wether you could manually add those registries but if you could it wouldn't be easy.

Theres a few ways to get MCG installed on 64-bit you can find them on mechcommander.org forums one of which is http://mechcommander.org/forum/topic.html?id=740
Some people claim it has worked some claim it hasn't worked. Look around and try the different solutions for installing on 64Bit.

There are also programs such as VirtualPC and VMWare. I don't know much about these and if they work for Multiplayer. Another suggestion that mechcommander is a 16-bit installer so it looks for 16-bit and goes wtf? So you would need to compile it to a 32-bit installer.

Easiest solution spend £50 on a desktop with crappy specs for old games or build it yourself or implement a dual boot for winxp on your computer.
http://www.mechcommander.org - Download the games for free now! Play them @ reverbgaming.com now!