Error launching

Problems? Issues? Ask your questions here.
Serrated

Error launching

Post by Serrated »

Hey all I'm running Windows XP Sp3 and updated the .NET files to the most current ones. After installing I try to run the lobby and it says that the programs encountered an error and needs to close. Ive tried reinstalling but nothing. any ideas??? I realllly need to get this to work I havn't played Mechcommander in soooo long ^_^
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: Error launching

Post by CanEh »

I am going to presume that you grabbed the latest release (2350 I think). I doubt there is a glitch in the installer itself, but I suppose that could be one item. Are there any details given? Can you supply a screen shot? Some people will turn off the WMI service (windows management instrumentation) and we use that one, perhaps you can check to see if it is running. Where abouts does it "stop" at? Do you get a login screen? Does this happen when you try to enter a lobby?
Serrated

Post by Serrated »

yes I am using the newest 2350 release this error occurs when trying to run the program I dont even get a lobby it just fails to launch. how would I go about checking to see if the WMI is running? I have a fairly fresh install of XP with SP3 integrated and I don't remember disabling anything. I could send u the error signature and report it gives me for the error if it would help.
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

Several ways to get to services... One of them is to right click my computer, select "manage"... when that opens, select "Services and Applications" then select "Services". Scroll down to the bottom of the list, the service should be in automatic mode. with a status of "started". You can also start->run and enter in "services.msc" to get to the same place.

But from what you said, you aren't even getting the login screen where you enter your name, pw, and select the lobby to enter. So I kinda doubt thats the issue. Are you logged into XP with an admin account? Can you tell me what versions of .Net Framework you have installed? (add/remove programs will tell you that) Also can you attach a screen shot of the error? And are you using the 32bit or 64bit XP?

Sorry for the problems, this is very unusual. There are lots of XP and Vista people using the software.
Serrated

Post by Serrated »

its only a 1 user install of windows and im the admin it's 32 bit version and the .NET is 2.0 SP1

CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

Way weird... ok, can you post the contents of the "error report contents"? It shouldn't contain anything critical about your system, but if you wish, you can paste that text into a PM to me in the forums.

I've also attached a RAR file, which has some programs that come with Visual Studio. The program is called "depends" (no, its not adult diapers) and is a dependancy walker. You can take the files from the rar, put them into any folder you want to, and run the depends.exe file. From there, you can then open your program files folder, go to the reverb gaming folder, and open the slidegamers.exe file. It may give a clue on a file that is missing someplace.
depends.rar
(380.22 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
I am ASSuming that you have the latest windows updates etc... By the way, I so hate XP SP3 because it sucks. If you manually installed that, and can remove it... Anyway, we can leave that item for a later point.