Slidegamers has caused an error?

Problems? Issues? Ask your questions here.
RAC_Draegon

Slidegamers has caused an error?

Post by RAC_Draegon »

Salute All!

I used to fly CFS daily back in '98-'01 under the name DS_Draegon and then MI_Draegon. (Death Squad and Murder Inc.)

I had thought my online days of CFS were over after the Zone stopped carrying it.

I then came across this site, and see a few RB3D players here as well, KK_Ice and KK_Opa, good to see you!

When I start the lobby client, I get the error message;

Slidegamers has caused an error in 3dfx166v3.drv

I use a Voodoo 3 16 bit card, so I know the reference is to my graphics card, but have no idea what to do about it.

By the way, the reason I stopped flying CFS online was due to the huge amount of hackers that swarmed the game, is that still the case, or were they weeded out?
CanEh
Site Admin

Re: Slidegamers has caused an error?

Post by CanEh »

Wow... I didn't think we could cause an error in a video driver. The graphics we use are really simple. When did you get this error? Example... in a lobby, doing configurations for game table backgrounds, selected "this" image to use, then went into a game table? Or was it when you went to launch a game... or... ??

The obvious suggestions would be to update to the latest video drivers (which sometimes can cause more problems but). Also, are you using XP or Vista? Some people apparently have had to set "program compatability" (I think for the game itself) to win98 or something.

You said "When I start the lobby client, I get the error message"... is this before or after you login, can you select a game lobby? Some additional details would be nice. :) I am going to ASSume that you installed the latest client release, and that you have at least the .Net 2.0 framework done.
RAC_Draegon

Post by RAC_Draegon »

Thanks for the quick response.

I use WinME for my OS.

I have the most up to date Net Framework from your list on the downloads page.

I get this message just when I log in, it brings up the lobby board I assume, then the error message.

I used to fly this game all the time, using the same system and graphics card I use now.

My vid card has as up to date drivers as I can get, and has updated to Directx 9. Voodoo cards haven't been made for a number of years now, but love the 3DFX and Glide, especially with Red Baron 3D.

Oh, the error should be in 3dfx16v3.drv, put an extra '6' in there by mistake.
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

ME... yikes. Well, lets see where we are at. I've looked over the log files for both CFS1 and 2 lobbies, and it shows you are using the latest client versions. The server says that you have completed the login functions correctly.

The login process is actually a side-step from the main lobby loading. The program initializes some information that it needs to get the basics of the lobby designed, and then branches to the login process. When that completes, the information returned from login continues to define the other characteristics of the lobby, and continues to load everything else. I believe that by default, the lobby will open in "grid view" so there are no graphics defined. If you can see that part of the screen come up, then there should be no issues.

The forms and everything else are .Net 2.0 based, and the fact that the login screen even loads indicates that you have at least some form of dot net framework installed. What REALLY shocks me is, I put your error in google, and it found *nothing*. I even went so far as to just use the graphics driver and this is what came back from the google search: "Your search - 3dfx166v3 - did not match any documents."

I'm really scratching my head over this one. Perhaps you can try to use add/remove programs, and remove the .net framework that you have installed. Reboot your computer, and hit the microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... b15c5e04f5) and re-download and install the .net 2.0 framework. Try getting in again and see what happens.

If that doesnt work, then try running windows update, select a custom install, and look to see what it returns for service pack updates for the dot net side. Only select those ones, and try again. Btw, if you have anything above 2.0 installed, delete those from add/remove as well, at least until we can figure this out. If you are still having issues, try taking a screen shot and posting it here. JPG's are a decent format for screen shots.
provato

Post by provato »

I hope this helps:

Found this page: http://helppage.3dfx.sk/ <---------- It has a reference to powerpoint.exe that seems to cause the same problem to 3dfx16v3.drv file. Here is what it says:

Code: Select all

How to resolve error message:

"NMAIN caused a general protection fault in module 3DFX16V3.DRV" in a Symantec (Norton) program or: "PowerPoint has caused an error in 3DFX16V3.DRV PowerPoint will now close", or a similar error message with newer XP or Office XP applications when using a Voodoo3 and Win95/98/98SE/ME. Download and install the last available Win9x reference drivers for the Voodoo3: Voodoo3 Win9x/ME v1.07.00 WHQL
RAC_Draegon

Post by RAC_Draegon »

Ok, removed 2.0, restarted, reinstalled from your link, still same error message.

I went to Windows update, and have no service packs or critical updates not installed yet.

I also don't use Power Point, but have it installed on my sys.

Here's the screenshot:

RAC_Draegon

Post by RAC_Draegon »

Hmmm, weird... :?

Installed a different Voodoo 3 driver, not the most up to date one I have, and lo and behold, I have access now... 8-)

Man, WIndows is twitchy...hehehe

So now, when do you guys fly? :mrgreen:
CanEh
Site Admin

Post by CanEh »

Ok, so the lobby loaded, the grid displayed... but the players list on the right hand side didn't populate with any information.... dang! You solved it while I was replying...

FINE then, be that way :P As for when people are there well.. thats another issue. I did create a new forum for people to post the games they play and the times they play them. That might be a good place to start to "meet and greet".